I've done some posts about my raving fan experiences. Those customer service experiences that are so outstanding that you just have to tell every one. (My Apple Story- My WestJet Story)
Isn't it unfortunate that when we get good customer service we find it remarkable but when we get bad customer service we aren't surprised. More often then not we just live with it. But here's the story of one person who did something about it.
I was listening to CBC radio the other day and they were interviewing a Canadian musician named Dave Carroll. His group is called Sons of Maxwell. Here's a short version of his story in his own words:
In the spring of 2008, Sons of Maxwell were traveling to Nebraska for a one-week tour and my Taylor guitar was witnessed being thrown by United Airlines baggage handlers in Chicago. I discovered later that the $3500 guitar was severely damaged. They didn’t deny the experience occurred but for nine months the various people I communicated with put the responsibility for dealing with the damage on everyone other than themselves and finally said they would do nothing to compensate me for my loss. So I promised the last person to finally say “no” to compensation (Ms. Irlweg) that I would write and produce three songs about my experience with United Airlines and make videos for each to be viewed online by anyone in the world. United: Song 1 is the first of those songs. United: Song 2 has been written and video production is underway. United: Song 3 is coming. I promise.
You can click here to get the detailed version of his story.
Here's the first video.
Over 4.7 million views on YouTube. Dave Carroll has been interviewed on CNN, MSNBC, CBC, etc, etc. It's been a PR nightmare for United. United Airlines stock dropped 10% after the story hit the press. Was it because of this song or simply because they are a struggling airline in a tough economy. I'd like to think that this song had something to do with it. One article I read estimated that drop cost shareholders
$180 million - or enough to replace 51,000 Taylor guitars.
I think that its great that someone is fighting back and is making a difference. I'm sure that the popularity of this video is because we've all had a similar experience and can totally relate.
I heard that United has asked if they could use the video in their customer service training so that they handle these issues better in the future.
I'm not a singer or a songwriter , but my kids are. Next time I have to deal with customer service and I don't get any results, I may have to get one of my daughters to write a song for me.
Dave Carroll's United Song Number 2 is coming out next week.
3 comments:
That is actually so awesome. Well not for his guitar. But Kinda a catchy tune.
Thanks for that post. I am so glad there are people like that who can really make a difference.
I am in the middle of a dispute myself. I am giving them until next week to see what they can offer me.
If I don't hear from them, I won't be writing any songs but I will be taking some action.
I don't like country music but I actually enjoyed the story the song told and I thought the tune was catchy also (kind of like ..."you are my brother...from American Idol).
I like how he finally handled the problem, and I know that if I do fly, I'll give second thoughts to United.
I think that Sheila may have to hire Angie and Erika in the future to write a song....
Post a Comment