Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Phone Fun or "Did you order a pizza?"

In response to the petition to get me to start a blog here we go. As the title suggests this will be a collection of random thoughts plus some of the the things that happen to me day to day.
  

  

For my first post I have to tell you about my drive home from work today. We did have a delay waiting at a C-Train Crossing. The arm came down but never went up. After a long wait people started getting out of their cars and held the arms up so other people could drive under them. I could just imagine them holding it up when a train was really coming by.
  
That's actually not the story I wanted to tell but it was a funny experience watching these folks holding up the arms. 

  
Later in our commute my cell phone rang. I answered and someone in broken english asked "Did you ordered a pizza?" I simply said no and said they must have the wrong number and hung up. 
  
After I hung up I thought it would have been funny if I would have asked the person if the pizza was already paid for and if it was have them deliver it to our place. Candi and I had a good laugh about thinking about doing that if we ever got another call from a pizza place. 
  
A couple minutes later my phone rang again. It was the same person asking me if I ordered a pizza. BINGO! This time I asked if I had already paid for the pizza. The person was obviously confused and asked if I was Serena. I said I wasn't and and said that they must have the wrong number. The person then got upset with me and said that he had the right number because it was written on the order. He confirmed that he did dial the number he had on the order but I assured him that I was not Serena and that I did not know a Serena and that no one at my cell phone number ordered a pizza.
   
Candi and I had a good laugh about this because as Candi said "You don't sound like a Serena." 
  
Guess what happened a few minutes later. Another phone call. This time the person speaks english and said "This is Pizza 73 calling to confirm our order." I told him that I did not order pizzas. (Ironically the order was for 2 large Hawaiian Pizza's - what do they call these in Hawaii?) This person asked to speak to Serena. I said that there was no Serena at this number. Then I asked if Serena had already paid for the pizzas and if they were going to deliver them. He said no and that is why they were calling. I said I was just joking and told him again that I hadn't ordered a pizza. He said that this was the phone number he had on the order. I said it is the wrong number and explained that this was my work phone number. Then he asked something that made me laugh. "If you don't want a pizza then why did you call?"
  
Me: "I didn't call - you called me". 
  
Him: "Are you sure Serena isn't there?"
  
Me: "No, this is my work cell phone." Then I got a great idea - I'll sell him EasyMax. "Have you ever heard of EasyMax?
  
Him: "No"
 
Me: "How much do you pay for electricity?"
  
Him: "I have to go" and then he hangs up.
   
Now I know how to have some fun with wrong numbers and those pesky telemarketers. Try to sell them something first. I can't wait for the next telemarketer to call so I can try it out. I might even get some sales.

10 comments:

Erika said...

It's about time you got up and running!

I think that story is hilarious... did it really take that much convincing to make them believe you weren't serena? Wow, your voice must have changed since I left.

.Ang. said...

oh Serena,

it's about time you got your blog going! That story is priceless. you can't make that stuff up! Are you sure there isn't a serena at that number?.. you should call and complain to someone at pizza 73 and tell them the way you were treated and see if you can get something out of it! Or at least sell them easymax!

You should totally sell it to Telemarketers! It's like telemarketing, only you don't have to make any calls. the business will come to you!

Anonymous said...

Erika and Angie,
Your comments made me laugh out loud!
Isn't it great to have dad's blog up and running?!!!

Mom

Burgess Family said...

Okay... that was pretty funny...You were much nicer than I would have been after the third time.

I am with Angie...I would have complained and got a free pizza out of the deal...or least let management know what was going on.

And it was too bad it wasn't paid for already.

jacquirae said...

pizza 73 would totally give you a free meal.You should've asked if you could have the pizza's anyways because they probably just got thrown out....

Funny stories though!! :D

Lana Dawn said...

HAHAHA.. that was a good first post. you are really good at this blogging thing serena.

i don't think you would make a good serena even if you were a girl.. you would probably be more of a wendy or carmen (those are popular asian girl names)

i like when he asked you why you called. pizza 73 should be at least giving you free pizzas for all this free publicity you are giving them about how persistant they rae

.Ang. said...

althought carmen, and wendy are good american -asian names i think dad would be a Mabel!

K's said...

I love your blog Doug!! I wish I could go to work with you and Candi - the pizza phone calls killed me with laughter...my stomach hurts...thanks!!
Sherry

Wilma said...

That is too funny Doug! People surprise me with how they can't accept there has been an error made. I'm all about customer satisfaction and I would definitely call and talk with the manager of the pizza place so they know about your harrassment. Of course the english speaking person may have been the manager but then I would go to the 1-800 #. My kids will verify that I do that when service has been very poor. It created funs times for you and Candi so that was a plus and created a great opening to your blog. Poor Serena though, she's probably still waiting for her pizza.

Anonymous said...

That was so funny. I read it to Dad and he had a good laugh too. I wonder what happened to the Pizza's.?
Maybe someone at work was playing a trick on you.