Today I had an interesting experience. I drove to Edmonton for work - there was a Chamber of Commerce meeting in St. Albert I was invited to attend. (Yet I still had to pay for my lunch). When I got there I realized that I forgot my wallet. But because they invited me they did let me in (but I still owe them for lunch). I enjoyed the meeting but after I was worried about what I was going to do. I'm a 3 hour drive away from home with no cash or credit cards. The gas tank in the van is nearly empty. I needed parking money because I was going to drop off stuff at the office downtown. Plus without my wallet I had no ID or driver's license or anything. What could I do? In Calgary at busy intersections there are often "homeless" people with cardboard signs telling their sad stories walking between cars at red lights looking for handouts. Maybe these folks aren't "homeless" at all. Maybe they are just people who forgot their wallets and need gas money to get home. (I did have cardboard and Sharpies in the van - I even had metallic Sharpies)

Well, fortunately I have family in and around Edmonton. 2 sisters and their families, aunts and cousins. I figured I'd go begging to my sisters first. Then if that didn't work, I'd find a busy intersection where I could display my sign. I got lucky on my first call. Sheila happened to have cash at home. I drove over to her place and begged for enough cash to buy enough gas to get home.

She made me beg for the money.

I was on my knees but she kindly helped me out.
Thanks to Sheila I did get home.
Now for a little rant.

(Yeah - its easy money for them)
I had some $25 gift cards that I purchased about a year ago to give to customers who signed up for our product at Southgate mall. Since I was on business and Sheila helped me out I figured she deserved a card for her troubles.
After I gave her the card I was driving and was listening to talk radio (I like talk radio but I don't think anyone else in my family does). Today they were talking about gift cards and how customers are complaining about them. Apparently a large percentage of the money spent on gift cards never gets used because they expire or they get eaten away with outrageous "service charges". I had one more $25 gift card so I checked it out to see how much was really on the card. Turns out it was only $6.08. Apparently every month you don't use the card they take off $2 for a "service charge". Basically that means if I give you a $25 gift card for your birthday and you don't use it for a year, that gift card will be only worth $1. That's criminal don't you think. Well, the Provincial Government agrees. Today they announced that effective November 1, gift cards can't expire and "service charges" will not be allowed. If that law was in effect today, Sheila would actually have a $25 gift card worth $25, not $6.08. Next time you get someone a gift card make sure you check out the fine print. Fortunately us Albertan's will be okay after November 1st. The government actually did something good.
10 comments:
YOu should pull that excuse everytime you go places...
"Yeah, I'll come with you guys for lunch....... Oh..... no.... I must have forgotten my wallet....shoot"
Thats pretty believable don't you think? Lucky you were in St. Albert for lunch. they have the most restaurants per capita that any other place in western canada (or so Mike says but sometimes he makes stuff up.. so don't quote me on that )
You still should have made a sign with your metallic sharpies when you begged auntie sheila! Lucky you have family close by! and that Auntie sheila carries cash on her person... AND LOTS OF IT BY THE LOOK OF THINGS!!...
how i miss colorful money... I guess those 20's are green though, like our boring money around here. But still. Blue for 5's purple for 10, red for 50's. It's a nice touch, really!
I never realized that gift cards got eaten away like that... well i guess not anymore come November 1st!
I think it was all a stunt so you would have something to blog about.
just kidding!!
It was very entertaining!
Yes, it was a lucky day...I almost didn't answer the phone...I had just gotten a call from a telemarketer about 1/2 hour earlier. I was cutting out fabric with Kristi and she convinced me to answer it.
Then Doug wanted cash...I never have cash...I just happened to have cash that someone gave me and I keep forgetting to put it in the bank.
And that is funny about the gift card Doug. Also that you happened to hear about gift cards on your way home. I had forgotten about that - I guess I better go and use it right away...just thinking... so do I get the other remaining card you have before it hits zero dollar amounts.
It was the thought that counted...so thanks.
And it is good they are changing the law Nov. 1, that part I didn't know about.
Thanks Sheila for rescuing Doug!
Judy
and you thought you wouldn't have anything to blog about, I beg to differ. (oops, no pun intended...)
Now I know you like to live on the edge, going that distance without a wallet...I stress a little driving to the Church without a driver's license beside me.
And I was impressed that Sheila would have so much cash on her also. It's amazing how things work out sometimes. And if Sheila didn't have cash, you actually had the cardboard and sharpies in the van, how lucky is that?
And that is sad about the gift cards but thank goodness the law is going to change. Is that service charge a Canadian thing, Alberta thing? I better check any gift cards I might have ( I think I use them almost as soon as I get them though).
HAHAHA..
wow i am sad you never started a blog earlier because you have a lot of good stories.
or maybe these things are just happening now because you DO have a blog! haha.. i was laughing at the picture of you begging. and i agree with ang.. you should have made a sign with your sharpies to beg to aunty shelia.
That is silly about gift cards. i never knew..
keep up the stories.
love you
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.
I LOVE YOUUUU!!! I miss your familyyy! I love your blog. It's my fav. miss you
It is interesting how life changes when you start a blog of your own... you have to start creating excitement in your life.
Doug was going to leave after he got his money...but we both figured we better take some pictures to entertain everyone.
And just for the record, the sun was shining in Doug's face...I made him squat down so I could get a better picture.
I would never make family beg for money...
I was just glad I was able to help out.
So those who haven't started a blog yet...think about it...exciting things start to happen...
Sheila, I could use some money....
Great stories!
Remember that Jacqui and Brent live downtown. Food may be scarce but they could provide you accommodations if you become stranded. They don't carry much cash but the bank is only a few blocks away. Grandma and Grandpa Takahashi are staying there next weekend (50th year U of A Medicine reunion). It will save them just under $200/night at Hotel MacDonald downtown Edmonton.
Post a Comment