Monday, April 25, 2011

Hawaii 2011 Part V

Everything Else

It was nice having a big house - there was lots of room for hanging out.

We played games

 Did puzzles

 Took naps

and of course we ate

and the ladies visited inside


while the guys visited outside


Brylie had a dance party

But I wasn't invited

Tyken watched movies

and Luke watched golf on TV.

We learned about BBQing with charcoal again.

There was even a water ballon fight




We did go sightseeing as well.   I had been to Oahu several time and always had wanted to got to Pele lookout.   I finally made it on this trip.



Jamie didn't think anyone was watching.  She's trying to figure out how hard it would be to do graffiti upside down hanging over the edge.


busted!


The next stop was for me as well.   I am a fan of the original Hawaii Five-0.  I've always wanted to go to the Palace they used as the Five-0 offices.

There it is - the corner office.

Us Hawaii Five-0 fans were confused when we saw the King Kamehameha statue.   We aways assumed  it was in front of the Hawaii Five-0 offices.    Well - its across the street from the palace in front of a government building.  But in the new Hawaii Five-0 series this building is used the the Five-0 headquarters.  Now I can sleep knowing where everything is



We stopped by the Mormon Tabernacle as well.  

They we drove around the east side of the island.  I've never seen that side of the island before.

Do these two look like they could be sisters?







Another day we stopped by the Aloha Tower hoping to go to a Japanese Buffet.   Unfortunately they moved out the week before,

But we did get to see them feed the fish - Actually the host let us feed the fish


All these tropical fish came over for lunch
I guess if we had a long net we still could have had a sushi buffet.

We also got to feed the fish at the Dole Plantation.   Tyken really wanted to see the fish there.  Someone lost a bag of fish food and it was  floating in the water.  Mike found a net and got it out.   You can see that Jamie is left holding the bag.

Judy and I went on the Pineapple Express train ride with Brylie and Tyken
And we even bought the overpriced picture.  That's the difference between parents and grandparents.  As parents we would have never bought this picture but as grandparents it seemed like the thing to do.

By 9 or 9:30 every night we were all asleep.  The first Friday Brylie was all excited for a sleepover with the girls.   She was ready to go home the next morning because it wasn't the party she was expecting.  Everyone passed out on her just when she was ready to party.    She ended up watching a movie alone.

This was in the van after we dropped Alana and Luke off at the airport



One evening we had an unexpected visitor.  It was a cane spider.   It was funny because no one wanted to get close to it.   I was crying like a little girl.  It reminded me of when I went Hawaii with Mike a couple weeks before Angie and the kids.  We saw a huge cockroach but both of us were too freaked out to do anything about it.  I don't like big bugs.

   Angie had caught one before so she coordinated the capture and release of the spider.   We took these pictures before we let it go.

That's Brylie's hand for perspective

On to more pleasant things.   We did go to the temple.   Its so nice with the renovations.   Judy and Angie and I went to a session.   Mike was working that the temple that morning.   It was nice to see him in his white suit.  


We also did baptisms with Jamie, Jenelle and Erika.


Candi and Erika took a Helicoptor tour of the island



These are pictures that they took from the helicopter

They loved it.   The flew around the entire island of Oahu


But all good things come to an end.
Sadly we had to pack up and head home.


And we said our goodbyes outside of Angie and Mike's apartment



The saddest thing of all is that when we got home I had to shovel snow off the sidewalk so we could get in the front door.





Looking back......It was a wonderful vacation.



It was nice to be in Hawaii, but for me the best thing was just all being together as a family.   I'm so glad that we were able to have everyone there.







5 comments:

Lana Dawn said...

i am so happy that you finished all your updates and posted all the pictures! they made me smile and you made me laugh with the commentary. It will be exciting when our family will be all together this summer - too bad it won't be in hawaii though!

Love you! thanks for all the updates!!! LOVE YOU

Burgess Family said...

Looked like a great time in Hawaii...maybe next time you can take the rest of us.

The pictures were great!

Wilma said...

I loved ALL of it!

The spider kind of freaked me out though...that thing is huge!

The contrast between leaving Hawaii and arriving home just emphasizes what a perfect trip you and the family had!

I hope the family does some more things so that we get posts from you. I'm thinking there will be a lot in September.

Lana Dawn said...

oh... and i have a video of that dance party - i need to put it on my blog.. hopefully soon!

Sonia said...

What a fabulous vacation for you guys. I'm reading the part about Hawaii Five-O and how you'll sleep better knowing where things are. Geez, made me think again how in some ways you are Jim are so similar. LOL

All good things do come to an end and when you don't have kids in Hawaii, I'm pretty sure your vacations there will be few and far between. :o) *Note: Rexburg is always freezing cold- like a big black cloud hangs over that city and they don't get chinooks to blow away the snow* Is Jamie thinking of attending college in a tropical location?