Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My Cousin Denny


DENNIS KEITH TAKAHASHI passed away on Friday, November 27, 2009 at the age of 53 years.
He is survived by one brother Gary (Jocelyn) Takahashi of Red Deer.
He was predeceased by his parents Chiyoko (Chuck) and Hideo (Ed) Takahashi.
A memorial service will be held on Tuesday December 1, 2009 at 2:00 pm at Christensen Salmon Funeral Home with Bishop Doug Takahashi officiating. Interment to follow in the Mountain View cemetery. (From the Lethbridge Herald)




The cover of the program from the service.


Yesterday I conducted my first funeral. I would have never guessed that my first funeral as a bishop would be for one of my cousins.

The news of his passing came as a shock to me. It all happened so quickly.

On Wednesday Dennis called some friends and asked that they take him to the hospital because he wasn't feeling well. On Thursday my dad got a call from the hospital informing him that Dennis was not doing well (He had listed my dad as the next-of-kin). Mom and Dad went into Lethbridge to see him but by the time they got there he was in a coma. Early Friday morning my dad got a call from the hospital informing him that Dennis passed away.
Gary came down and started making funeral arrangements with some of Denny's friends. He asked if I would conduct the service and I was happy to do it. To be frank, I was worried about what I would say - but I talked to my Stake President and he said that it was an opportunity to comfort and to teach about our Saviour Jesus Christ. So that was my plan.

Much of the program was put together by Denny's friends.



The program went well. The funeral home was packed. There was standing room only. He had a large circle of friends.

I grew up spending a lot of time with Denny (as we knew him) and his brother Gary. They lived in Lethbridge and we lived in Picture Butte. I remember going to visit them lots when we would go into town. What I regret is that over the last 25 or 30 years I really haven't seen Denny that much. I mentioned that in my talk. I asked that the people there not do that - but keep in touch with family and friends. I told a few stories about my memories of Denny. I always remember him with a smile on his face. I thought it was funny that they called him "Tak" because that is what I was called growing up. I mentioned that in my talk. I also said that I knew him as "Denny". I added that by that side of the the family I was (and still am) know as "Dougie". I talked about my favorite movie - It's a Wonderful Life and how the the main character "George Bailey" wishes that he was never born. He got the chance to see what the world would be like if was never born and it was a very different place. The point is that every person's life touches so many others in good ways. I said that Denny was like that that - he touched many people for good - as displayed by the overflow crowd. "No man is a failure who has friends" - a quote from the movie.

His memory will live on in our hearts and in our memories but I also told the audience that I knew that his spirit lives on. From there I talked about what I believe regarding life and death. You can read more about my beliefs at www.mormon.org.

It was nice to be there and to meet Denny's friends and to get reacquainted with family.

I'm so glad that this life is not the end and that we will see these loved ones again.

Dennis - God be with you till we meet again.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Thank you for this blog entry and for including some of the messages you gave in your speech. Mom was very proud of you . . . she couldn't stop saying what a great job you did at the funeral. She said everything about the funeral went very well. That was nice that you were able to officiate Denny's funeral. I liked your quote, "No man is a failure who has friends". It sounded like he had a lot of friends. Being Bishop has it's rewards . . . I'm sure relatives were pleased to see you conducting the funeral.

Burgess Family said...

Thanks Doug for the tribute to Denny and for the messages you shared.

Sounds like the funeral went really well.

May Takahashi said...

THanks Doug for the blog. Dad phoned the Dr. and he said Denny had a streptococcal infection- and he died of Septicemia. He said the test for H1N1 was negative . He also had pneumonia.

As Candi said it sounded a lot like H!N!. Tests sometimes prove wrong. In any case it was a fast moving illness whatever it was--especially when Denny wasn't a person who got sick .
I agree Dennis had a circle of very true friends who
loved him for his kindness and reliability. They said he was always there to help anyone in need.
I really think that they are going to miss him.
Its unfortunate that there was no time to talk to him before he passed away.

Wilma said...

I second what Sharon wrote. Thanks for sharing the program from Denny's service. That picture is how I remember him...minus the mustache. Like you, when I think of Denny, I envision him smiling, he was always smiling, and I can even hear his laugh.

I'm still in shock.