Monday, September 15, 2008

Why do I blog?


Angie had a wonderful post about why she blogs. The scripture reference about "publishing" really had an impact on me. I really appreciated her thoughts and it got me thinking about why I blog. I initial did it because of a petition from family members. Basically I fell to the pressure. But I am enjoying it and as I thought about it there were 2 main reasons why I'm doing this.

1) To keep my family and friends up to date (especially my daughters who are away). 

2) To tell my stories to my kids and grandkids as sort of a personal history - 1 post at at a time. They will be random. I'll post stories as they are relevant (like the shoe on the bus story - Angie mentioned it in a comment and Jacqui asked about it) or maybe totally random as I remember them.


Reason 2 was partially inspired by Randy Pausch and the Last Lecture.  He was the charismatic young college professor who chronicled his battle with pancreatic cancer in a remarkable speech widely-known as the "Last Lecture." Unfortunately he died on July 25th at the age of 47. But that only gives his "Last Lecture" even more meaning. Check out the Diane Sawyer interview on the first link in this paragraph if you have the time.

If anyone else would like to read these posts, they are welcome to do so. I might even add some stories for you if ask.

3 comments:

Erika said...

I am so glad you finally have a blog. It is good to feel up to date with all the things going on Back in Calgary!
I sure miss everyone. sometimes just reading the blog entry isn't enough!

Lana Dawn said...

I am glad you have a blog and that i can read all your stories you used to tell.. and the experiences you are going through. it is nice to know what is going on at home and still feel a bit connected as i am away.. i miss you and i love you a lot!!!!

Wilma said...

I get to read about what is going on in your life now also, and I feel connected. I also get to find out more about your childhood...like the shoe on the bus story.

I watched the Diane Sawyer interview just now and I want to listen to the lecture when I have more time, thank you for exposing me to that information, I hadn't heard of him and "The Last Lecture" before now.

It's amazing how each one of us can impact another's life in some way and never really know what we've done.