Sunday, September 21, 2008

I'm going to be in the Guiness Book of World Records

Well, not really me, but we were all part of a city-wide food and together the members of the six LDS Stakes in Calgary achieved the goal and collected over  500,000 pounds of food for the Calgary Inter-faith Food Bank.  


This Food Bank press release explains what we did.


Last year nearly 90,000 Calgarians used the food bank.   Nearly 45% of these were children.   

What started in our ward as a service project many years ago has turned into this city-wide food drive that now holds the world record for the most food collected in one day.  They estimate that the food collected on Saturday is worth over $1,000,000.

We don't knock on doors.  A few days before collection day we pass out bags with an information sheet to all the homes in Calgary.  The idea is that people will fill up the bags and leave them on there doorstep Saturday morning.   


On Saturday morning we go around and collect any bags left out.
Jenelle kept count
Our driver and navigator


We then take them to one of 6 drop off sites in the city (1 per stake).
The missionaries were there in full force


From there the food is loaded onto these trucks and taken to the Food Bank.  We filled up 2 and a half of these trailers at our drop off location.  
(Purolator donated the use of the trucks and the drivers).

Purolator had some young looking drivers


SteveO was operating the folk lift
The fork lifts were donated as well.





I had to add this one just because. 




I hope that this is a world record that gets broken soon and is broken often.

Read more about it


Calgary Food Bank Website

Calgary Herald
Calgary Sun
Edmonton Sun 
Cape Breton Post (Not much must happen there)


8 comments:

.Ang. said...

That is awesome!!! I'm kinda sad that we missed out this year! I Love all the pictures of the old stomping grounds!! It makes me want to come home for a visit!!

Erika said...

Of all the years I did that, the first one I miss you set a world record!... and I can't believe Jamie is driving! that is SO crazy!

Lana Dawn said...

WOW! good job you guys! sounds like a lot of fun! and i am so glad jamie was driving! she is SO old!

i remember when i used to do that and i would look in the bags and want to take all the good stuff that we never bought. hahah!

Anonymous said...

I was told that the first sign of pride was 'not sharing your wares'...well Edmonton sure lost this 'city battle'. Congrats Doug and ALL the wonderful members in Calgary. I think of all those people that go without-many of them sit across from me in the classroom and I know of many in Calgary...from them I say "God bless you all" You are all truly "Loving Your Neighbour".....
Yeh..Yeeaaaaaaaaaah...yeah.
You know how important this is when I comment on your post.

Burgess Family said...

Thanks for sharing this with us. Love the photos.
I actually have photos from another year...it was soo exciting. I would love it if our youth could do this.

Maybe one day...Edmonton will have the same spirit Calgary does.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an accomplishment! What a wonderful thing the Calgary Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Day Saints. do. You folks are so generous with your time to help those in need. Its great to know there are still lots of people with big hearts in the city. It took a lot of organizing to carry this out-. 7000 people working together can certainly perform miracles.
I am glad to hear your family were part of this project.May the Lord bless all 7000 of you.
May

Anonymous said...

I can't stop reading this post and my amazement of the many organizations working together! Not only kudo's to the 7000 but to all the many organizations that worked together to make this possible. Again, I encourage everyone to read the articles and see the many organizations involved and SUPPORT them in their respective businesses!
And those missionaries... need I say more!

jacquirae said...

I remember when I did this with you one year! So fuN!!!!

Invite me next year! That's so awesome!