A GPS (Global Positioning System)
Judy and I were at Costco on the weekend and I picked up a Garmin 1490LMT GPS unit.
I have the GPS functionality on my blackberry and it works well but its not that safe to use when driving. Its too small and you have to focus on it to see where you need to go.
I've been thinking about getting a GPS since I have to go to places like Toronto and Vancouver for work. I have to drive around and felt that a proper GPS unit would be useful.
They were $30 off at Costco this week and after checking around the regular Costco price is close to $100 less than most other places - like Best Buy and Future Shop. So I figured its a good deal..... and I'm all about good deals.
Well I'm in Toronto and I love this thing. Tonight it was really foggy and you can't see more than a hundred yards (metres). The GPS got me right to the hotel even though I couldn't see the landmarks along the way.
I pulled over to take this picture. Its not very clear but hopefully you get the point - Its foggy and hard to see anything. T
I also like that the GPS tells me what lane to be in when I was on the 401. When I got close it to the exits changed to a picture of the freeway signs above the lanes. They were the same as the real signs. I don't know how they do that but it was great.
Hopefully I can find my way around tomorrow.


5 comments:
I am excited about your new purchase as well! it is way better than your blackberry which you sometimes have to take your glasses off to read, when you aren't driving! and the price sounds awesome!!! Have fun in toronto. The weather looks just about as warm as here!
Love you
Nice useful
Toy! Great purchase especially with the traveling that you are doing.
That must be an added feature telling you which lane to be in. We borrowed Grandma Neilson’s GPS while in the RV last year and because we were not in the right lane sometimes when our turn came we had to make a detour. The GPS would always tell us, “wrong turn . . . “
I'm all about a good deal...but then you know that.
Only difference is, you only bought one.
It was a great purchase.
I am all for good deals too but we don't travel enough to get a GPS. I think of all the times in the past we could have used one. WE could have saved a lot of time
searching.Hope the weather is better now. WE expect rain and snow on Friday,
Bill and Micheline are supposed to be home from Arizona on April 26 . THey should be home now until winter.Their phone number is 905-471-8095
Address is 1 Loon Harbor Way, Markham Ontario.They moved there in 2009Take care. Have a a good trip home
It is a wonderful purchase! We have one (and of course from Costco) and we love it! Dave will set it sometimes even when we know where we're going.
I could tell that it was foggy in Toronto and thanks for pulling over to take the picture.
Once when we use the GPS that came with a rental when we drove to PB, the GPS told us to make a turn sometime after Milk River and before Lethbridge that was a turn I have never made before and I didn't want to chance it and see how it took us to PB because it was dark and not an ideal time to take and adventure. I wonder if it really would have been faster...
Have fun with the new purchase!
Post a Comment