Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Back into Training

It's time for me to start training again for another run. Its been a year and a half since I ran the St. George Marathon. The question is finding the right run.

There are some fun marathons I would love to run. Calgary has a great marathon where you run through the zoo and along the river. Edmonton and Red Deer have marathons. You can run the Disney Marathon and run through Disneyland - or the Disney World Marathon and run through all the Disney parks there. You can run down the Strip in the Las Vegas Marathon or run through 5 boroughs in the New York Marathon. There's the Rock and Roll Marathon in San Diego where they have a band playing every mile. There are all kinds of neat runs out there.

The problem is that they are all on Sunday. That's my day to go to Church so its not even an option for me.

When we were in Saskatoon, Michael told me about the perfect race that he thought we should start training for. Its on a Saturday in March in North Carolina.

Its one of the fastest growing runs in the USA. It started in 2004 with 12 runners. In 2009 there were over 5,500 runners. ESPN referred to it as the "most difficult race in the country".


Its not a marathon, but I think it will take as much serious training as a marathon to complete.

I'm going to accept the


In this race you have to run from the North Carolina State University Bell Tower to the Krispy Kreme 2 miles away. At the Krispy Kreme you have to eat a dozen donuts and then run back the 2 miles to campus.


When I was training for the St. George marathon my philosophy was Exercise More - Eat Less. The problem was that I kept on getting it mixed up it with Eat More - Exercise Less. Finally I've found something that I can train for where it doesn't really matter. Either way I'll be training for one aspect of the race.

My training plan is to pace myself. Don't start running too far too quickly and don't eat too many donuts too quickly. Maybe a donut a day and then do the long run equivalent of a dozen on the weekend.

The challenge here will be finding Krispy Kreme donuts for my training. They closed the only Krispy Kreme in Calgary. I guess I'll have to train with Tim Horton's donuts. But it should give me the advantage because Tim Horton donuts are heavier. (plus its Roll Up the Rim to Win time so maybe I can win a car while training).

The only question now is "Am I up to the Challenge?"



For the ESPN coverage of the 2009 Krispy Kreme Challenge click here.

Click for the Krispy Kreme Challenge official website.

Notes:

12 Original Glazed Krispy Kreme Doughnuts contain:

  • 2,400 calories (1,200 fat)
  • 144 grams of fat
  • 36 grams of saturated fat
  • 60 mg. of cholesterol
  • 1140 mg. of sodium
  • 120 grams of sugar
  • 24 grams of protein.
But NO Trans fats - They must be healthy
  • Those calories are enough to burn a 60-watt bulb for 125 hours
  • You'd have to run 32 miles to break even.

8 comments:

May Takahashi said...

That is an interesting run. I am not sure if it is a healthy one tbough. All those calories at one time? Who can eat 12 doughnuts at one time and run after.?
I guess the training before would keep you healthy

Lana Dawn said...

HAHAHAHA

michael would know about this marathon. of course...

hahah.. i think its a great idea!

candi can bring you home some donuts if you want!

M. Piepgrass said...

Just ate 7 donuts and going for a run.

Wilma said...

That's too funny!

I think you're up for the challenge right now but I'm not sure how you'll be AFTER the training...

It sounds like Michael has a head start on the training....

Papahashi said...

While the race is real, my desire to enter the race is not. This was my April Fool's Day post.

But after seeing Mike's comment, my competitive side is coming out. I can't let him get a head start on the training. I'll be running by Tim Horton's in the morning.

Wilma said...

I was wondering...(about the April Fool's thing)

And by running by, you mean "driving" right?

sharon said...

Krispy Kreme Race . . . the things people think of. Sounds like a good family, youth or YSA activity. Good luck Doug on whatever race you do.

Michael. . . you are definitely one of a kind . . . you certainly know how to cheer up anyone with your comments. I love your in training comment (LOL)!

Laura said...

Are you for real going to do this? It sounds fun, but I don't like Krispy Kremes. I thought they were gross (and lots of other people must have agreed hence the lack of Krispy Kremes in Calgary). I think you need to do a video montage of your training..... I want to see you high fiving police men while running past and grabbing their donuts! :)