I know its been a while since my last blog entry. A lot has happened in the last week.
I lost my job. I drove down to Salt Lake City with my mom and dad. I'm staying at my sister Wilma's place. On the weekend Alana came up and hung out with us. More on all this later but first I have to share another Raving Fan Story while its fresh in my mind.
Alana brought her Macbook with her. She's been having a few problems with it lately. Her CD/DVD drive hasn't been working, her touch pad double-clicks when it should be single clicking and her power supply wasn't always charging her battery. But even with all those problems her Mac still makes her smile,
I told her I would take it in to the Apple Store today to get it checked out. So this morning my dad and I drove down to the Salt Lake City Apple Store
What a busy place. I felt like a kid in a toy store. Not only do they have all the products there, you get to play with them It was so busy that you had to make an appointment just to talk to someone about computer. We were there at 10:45 and the next available time was 3:30. I must admit that I left with a bit of a bad attitude because of that. At 3:30 I returned and met with an Mac Genius at the Genius Bar.
Now before we go any further I need to point out that Alana has had this computer for nearly 2 years. She did not get the extended warranty on this and it comes with a 1 year warranty. So there is no warranty on this one. I figured this would all cost between $300 and $400 to fix everything. I even thought about ordering the parts online and fixing it myself after I confirmed that the drive was dead.
Mac Genius Terry helped me. As soon as he opened the laptop before he even asked me what was wrong he noticed that the top bezel was cracked and he said - that's a known problem with this model and we'll fix it. When I told him the issues he checked everything out and confirmed that the power supply had a loose connection and the drive needed to be replaced. Then he said something I didn't expect at all. He said that the power supply shouldn't do that so he would replace it as well. And then the big surprise.... he said that since they had to replace the bezel and keyboard replacing the drive would be easy because the computer would be all apart. He said that they would cover the entire repair. He excused himself to go check if they had the parts in stock. A short time later he said all the parts were in and that it would take about a day to do the repairs. They would call when it was ready. We did the paperwork and I was on my way (around 4 pm)
So tomorrow the plan was to go get the computer when they called. But they fooled me. They called tonight around 8 pm to say it was ready for pickup. So I headed back to the store. About 5 minutes later I walked out with Alana's "new" computer.
Its hard to see in the picture but the entire keyboard, touchpad and bezel (top around keyboard) is all new. There is a new CD/DVD drive and the power supply is new. Total Cost in US$ = $0.00.
I find this amazing. Granted the computer shouldn't be having problems like this, but Apple exceeded all my expectations on this one. Even the under promising and over delivering on how long it would take. I'm a raving fan.
(I was so happy that I was tempted to spend on the money I just saved in that store (but I didn't).)




11 comments:
Wow, talk about customer service! What a nice surprise. I LOVE my mac, and after hearing that, i love that I chose a mac even more!
Unbelievable service-- especially when they were so busy. .
why did I buy the extended warranty??
- candi
You need to talk a bit more about losing your job and moving in with your parents!
Hahaha
I love apple! They replaced pretty much EVERYTHING that Alana had problems with! When we went through our 3rd or 4th power cord and they sent us the wrong part. mike wrote an email we had to send it back or they would charge our credit card. Well we sent it back and a couple weeks later we noticed the charge went through anyways. we checked back on our Apple account and the part had been received and we had the date and name of the guy. Mike wrote an email and told of all the problems that he had and he loved apple and he loved his computer but he was a little disappointed. Someone called back and said "We are sorry that your credit card was charged and are sorry to hear of all your trouble. If you have any more problems at all Please call me directly, my number is..."
So if something else goes wrong we'll get a new one altogether.
I TOO am a raving fan!
Word really flies when Papahashi posts a blog...
I verify that he is EXTREMELY happy and impressed with the APPLE customer service!
Wow, I am impressed. You did way better than I could have. We sure love our MacBook. Now I know where to go for repairs if I need any.
Love the photos - it was like we were there.
Recently Joseph and I stopped in a Mac store in West Edmonton Mall - it looked liked a lot like the one in Utah. Thank goodness we were looking for an ipod case and had limited time, so Joseph didn't clue in he could stay and play.
It was pretty busy here as well...he would have had to wait his turn.
But that would be a good date night. I was thinking a cheap date night...but then that might be like going into a camera store for Darrell and I...could be scary.
Thank you Doug for driving Mom and Dad to Utah.
Sorry to hear you lost your job.
i am soo happy about the Mac store and my mac being finished! what happy ending to my computer problems!!! if i had known it owuld have been so easy and quick to fix i would have done it so long ago!
i am sure i will hear this story again... good thing its soo great!
Did you know, we have a MACGenius Scott(cousin) in the Edmonton Apple store - but we can't make long distance calls in Edmonton. When I was in Portland and they opened the Apple store there I could call everyone in Canada from their phones.
I think I might become a 'Raving Fan of Apple' soon too!
Hope everyone is learning alot from all the Veteran's day services today - it makes one think that we have to take care of our Country(s) and people just a tad better than we are doing ...
I shed more tears today than any other day of the year - but they are tears of gratitude!
Wear your poppy and hug a veteran!
Very impressive! GREAT JOB DOUG! Let me know when you go down there again. I no longer have warranty on my MacBook Pro but by the next time you go to Utah I may be having problems with my computer.
We met Scott at MacWorld. AK, your efforts to get the cousins' kids together paid off. Jacqui recognized Scott when she picked up Brent's computer at the service counter.
Yay for raving fan stories! You almost have me sold on the mac :)
~Laura
Did you really lose your job?
I'm sure Angie & Mike & Brent & Amber wished they could've had that kind of luck with their computers recently.
I'm glad that we are all DIE HARD Mac fans. . . makes it so much sweeter!
Post a Comment