Sunday, October 26, 2008

I forgot what a wonderful voice you have

Today was the Primary Presentation in our Ward.  Sorry I don't have any pictures.  Its the first year that our kids have all graduated from Primary but they asked our family to sing a song so I figured its about the 21st year that we have had at least one daughter in the Primary Presentation.   Our primary is small - only about 12 kids - With teachers they only took 1/3 of the choir seats.  Not like when our older kids were in primary.  Back then for the presentation they had to bring up additional chairs and even then some of the the younger classes had to sit on the first couple rows in the congregation.  But it was nice because every child got to give a short talk.   Mom and Jamie and Jenelle and I same "Home" (#193 in the Children's Songbook).  I didn't know the song but we did sing it about 3 times before I left for meetings this morning.  

It was a busy day for me - I did a closing remarks talk in Sacrament meeting.   I went to Primary and spoke there and then I talked in Relief Society as well.   I must confess something else.   I sang in all three meetings as well.   The theme of the Primary Presentation was "I Am a Child of God".  They kids sang it in English but there was a girl who speaks Spanish who sang "I Am a Child of God" in Spanish.  There are a couple of girls from Korea who sang it in Korean.   So I tried to remember it in Japanese.  Good thing we had Naotaka, the Japanese exchange student in our ward, because I wrote down the words as I remembered them and then he corrected it for me.   When I went into Primary I had this crazy idea to sing it in Japanese for the kids.   I don't know who was more surprised, the kids, the teachers or me.  From there I had to run to Relief Society to talk.  One of the sisters in there came from Primary so she heard me sing and let everyone else know what happened.   They requested that I do it in Relief Society.  I said that I would at the end if they were reverent (hoping that they would forget).   My talk went well - I talked about the Lord answering our prayers and shared some stories with them.   At the end they didn't forget about my promise to sing if they were reverent.  They wouldn't let me leave until I sang "I am a Child of God" in Japanese. (Kami no ko desu).  I hope they recover from hearing that.

On Thursday and Friday I was in Edmonton for work.  Friday morning we did a seminar that seemed to go well.   After it was done I packed up and figured I would go to the temple.  


When I walked in to the room to be seated I was pleasantly surprised to see a couple from my ward in Calgary.   The sister was so shocked to see me walk in.  She asked me if Judy was there.     After the session I met Judy's mom's cousin in the hallway and he asked me if Judy was there and then asked how she was.   Then I saw the Temple Matron (who used to live in our ward in Calgary).  Guess what the first thing she asked me was.... "Is Judy here?"   She went a step further and said with a smile "I don't want to talk to you, I want to talk to Judy".    Then the Temple President came out - Guess what the first thing he asked me was..... no, it wasn't that.  He asked me how I was doing.  The second question was "Is Judy here with you?"  Now I must admit that I'm not offended by this as I don't blame them for asking.  I'd rather talk to Judy as well.  Plus its easier on the eyes to look at her.    Next Friday I have to be in Edmonton again for work.  I've already talked to Judy about the possibility of her coming with me so that we can go to the temple together.

11 comments:

Erika said...

I had almost forgotten your beautiful... I have just been out of the country for so long!

Burgess Family said...

So sorry we couldn't be in your Ward...we would have loved to have been there to hear you speak and sing. Not very many Bishops sing.

Actually our Ward was okay...Sharon gave the Relief Society lesson on trials so it was a good one.

And that was funny about the temple experience. Judy, isn't it nice that you are missed.

jacquirae said...

Auntie Judy is a celeb!!! haha. How come you're always up here but I never know until after you leave? Can you make a video of I Am A Child Of God in japanese please???

Anonymous said...

Ditto to J's request. Along with that can you record 'Silent Night'?....I remember gramma Shimbashi singing that often...i can hear her singing it now! I think their conversion to Christianity really 'rocked' that song! Your kids and grandkids would really enjoy that one for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Great job Doug! What would the Ward do without you . . . especially this particular Sunday. Looking forward to hearing/seeing the video of you singing, "I Am A Child of God in Japanese." (I think you are out voted on this request).

Anonymous said...

Great job Doug! What would the Ward do without you . . . especially this particular Sunday. Looking forward to hearing/seeing the video of you singing, "I Am A Child of God in Japanese." (I think you are out voted on this request).

jacquirae said...

come over and have some pie and sing to us!!

Lana Dawn said...

wow.. good job on singing.. i just long to hear your voice when i am away at school. i just miss it so much.

i am glad to hear that you spoke and sang with everyone.. sounds like some bishop responsibilities.. nicole should be happy with that.

i miss you! love you

M. Piepgrass said...

Douglas......Next EFY-CD performing artist?

Wilma said...

...is Judy there?...

I would love to hear you sing the TWO songs in Japanese also. You were definitely busy on Sunday but it sounds like it was probably fun and people really enjoyed it. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Good job Doug to please each department with I Am A Child of God.

We had 10 kids in our Primary Two had just advance to YW. but were good enough to help. They actually did very good. The older girls sang a duet. The whole program went well.
I have never heard I am a child of God in Japanese. You will have to send me the words or better still- sing it for me on the blog. Your kids will hear it too.
No news on the car yet--will find out Thursday.
Hi everyone who reads this.. Love Grandmabashi