Monday, October 13, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!



Today is Canadian Thanksgiving.  Its pretty much the same as American Thanksgiving except its on the 2nd Monday in October instead of the 4th Thursday in November.   We eat turkey and pumpkin pie and we watch football.   (At least I watched football - The Calgary Stampeders beat the Saskatchewan Roughriders 42 - 5).

The truth is that we had our turkey dinner yesterday after church.   That way we could take it easy today and eat the leftovers.

It seemed strange to only have 5 around the table for our Thanksgiving Dinner.   That's the smallest number we've had in years.  

This Thanksgiving I've thought of the many things that I am grateful for. 
   
#1 on my list is my family.   
  
I'm so grateful for Judy.  I'm grateful she took a chance on me,
    
I'm grateful for these 6 beautiful daughters
   
   
And for the additions to the family - Mike and Brylie.
     
  
and of course Tyken
      
I'm grateful for my grandkids,
I'm grateful that they live in Hawaii and that we are able to visit them.
   


In Wilma's blog she talked about our parents and grandparents.

Both sets of my grandparents left Japan for a better life in Canada.   It wasn't easy for either family but I'm so grateful for the sacrifices that they made so that we could be here today.

Grandpa and Grandma Takahashi
   
  Grandpa and Grandma Shimbashi
Front:  George, Helen, May, Edward

Wilma mentioned how our parents grew up when it was not easy for Japanese Canadians.  After the attack on Pearl Harbor Japanese Canadians (and Japanese Americans) who lived on the Pacific coast were moved inland to internment camps or in my dad's case, moved to Southern Alberta to work on the farms down there.   My mom's family was already living in Alberta so they didn't have to move but they still encountered the prejudice towards the Japanese.   Fortunately they lived in Welling, an LDS town in Southern Alberta.   The members of the Church treated them well and that has sure effected my life.   My mom and her siblings joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  My dad's family was moved to Magrath, another LDS town a few miles down the road from Welling.   My dad joined the Church later when he went to University in Edmonton, but I'm sure growing up in a Mormon town had influenced that decision.  I'm grateful that they both accepted the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I'm grateful for their hard work and example for all of us.   Thank you.  

I'm grateful that dad and mom found each other

And got married.
   
 
I'm grateful for my sisters 
(Wilma doesn't look as grateful as I do in this picture)
    
 
And their families.
I'm grateful for the times we are able to get together as family.  
     
I'm grateful that we could help Mom and Dad 
celebrate their 50th Anniverary
   
And that we could all be there.
    
I'm so grateful that we all have each other.
  
I'm also grateful for Judy's parents. 
      
  I'm grateful to them for raising such a wonderful daughter who has enriched my life so much.

Grandpa Anderson passed away last November.  We all miss him.  I am so grateful that he accepted me into his family and for the many things I learned from him through the years.   The two things that stand out to me are his example of hard work and his testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  
  
I'm grateful we were able to celebrate his birthday last August.
   
I'm grateful for all my brother-in-laws and sister-in-laws (and this isn't even all of them)
    
and their families.
 I'm grateful that his legacy will continue on. 
(This is just a small part of the total family)
     
Grandma Anderson had some health concerns earlier in the year.  I'm grateful for her and that she's doing so much better and that she was able to stay will us in Calgary while she recuperated.  This is after we took her back home.
   
I'm grateful that families can be together forever.   
  

11 comments:

Erika said...

I am so grateful for all those things too! AND I am so thankful for YOU!

It is so weird to see so few of you eating thanksgiving dinner... and in the dining room. I didn't even know that was an option!

I miss you and LOVE you all. I can't wait until American thanksgiving when we will all be eating together.

.Ang. said...

Erika was just saying how you haven't updated your blog in a few days. we were worried. Then I logged in and we were very relieved to see that you were alright.

I am grateful for this post!! and for all the things you are grateful for! I love all the pictures you used! We need to get some new family pictures done now that Tyken is here!

Erika and I couldn't get over how weird it was to see only 3 girls sitting around the table. Can't wait to be together for American thanksgiving!

Oh, I was wondering if you still did the speech...

I hope you did!

love you and Miss you!

Ang

Lana Dawn said...

hey dad..

thanks for such a great post! i am grateful for you too!!!

It is weird to see such a small crowd at the table, and i was thinking that there wasn't even that much food set out, but i guess you don't need quite as much anymore.. that is weird.

Loved the pictures! i am so blessed with such great family!!!

Love to everyone and keep up the blogging! we'll all be in hawaii repeating this thanksgiving thing soon!

Wilma said...

That was wonderful, it's priceless! I love the pictures that you included in your post, everything combined had me all teared up.

You have an exceptional family and it shows.

I'm also thankful that you are okay. I'm been looking for new posts from everyone and not finding anything so I'm glad everyone is making comments so that I know they are okay. I'm thankful for this blogging thing because I feel closer to family as I read and see what is going on in their lives and read comments as if we're carrying on a conversation.

jacquirae said...

Is that my mom on the left?????? That is my guess. FINAL ANSWER

this was a great post! I love when stories can be represented by pictures. Photographs are a great blessing. I encourage everyone to back up their photos and documents on their computer!! It is really important! You never know when your hard drive might randomly fail. It happened to me two weeks ago, and it happened to Brent twice in the past year. When they replaced the hard drives, they were unable to recover any of our data. The first time, Brent lost everything. After that, Dad bought us each a backup HD. So the second time, Brent was prepared. I didnt really take my back up too seriously...so when my HD crashed I didnt have my stuff backed up for the past month or so. So I lost some pictures, but at least it wasnt all of them! I will never take my backup harddrive for granted again!

PLEASE BACK UP YOUR DATA!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Gratitude is such a great concept and so grateful for you PAPAHASHI and Judy, as I see how you have pulled two families together. Can you imagine if all the people in the world would be responsible for just pulling two families together...
ka-ching...
ka-ching...
ka-ching...
ka-ching...
ka-ching.....throughout
the whole world.

I thought it amazing that if you cover the eyes of PAPAHASHI's 'young' picture(with his sisters) and do the same with TYKEN, they look very alike from below the eyes.

Jacqui...thank you for reminding us to do backups.

Great blogging!

Anonymous said...

How do you find the old pictures so fast. I wouldn't know where to look. Its nice to know I wasn't always heavy. Too bad I can't get back to look like that.
Lets just say that is part of my years supply.
Its nice to see the old pictures--brings back a lot of memories.Did you vote? They say only around 50% voted. That is sad. There were 10 million Canadians who could have voted and didn't. I heard people at the Telus Towers had to wait 45 minutes in line to vote. WE went to Dorothy Dalgleish School and there was no wait. Mom
I get my High Speed today(Wed). Am just getting high Speed- not the Extreme. That was free for 7 months and then it would be 10 dollars more a month than just high speed.I wouldn't know how to use it anyway.
Belated Happy Thanksgiving. We spent a quiet weekend. Sunday we had 75 at church.WE had two new families move and there were visitors and kids home from school. Enjoyed your blog. Love to all
My password still doesn't work. Will try again.

Shel said...

Thanks Doug... You made me feel grateful too... and made me cry (that's okay).. I loved the pics of dad that I haven't seen before.. They are reallly good ones. Luv ya, Shel

stef j. said...

hi. i'm one of ang and mike's friends on the good ol' isle of hawaii. well, oahu ... state of hawaii. you know what i mean.

this post nearly made me tear up, which i thought maybe a bit odd since i am not a member of the family. but i guess i wanted to say that i think your family is phenomenal. seriously, honestly, phenomenal. i hope that my husband and i can master the secrets to such radiance and joy and togetherness that are so apparent, even in pictures, within the little haven of home you and judy have created for your daughters. speaking of which, ang is amazing, and example to all of us mothering folk out here in oahu. surely because of the wonderful examples she had growing up.

so thanks! and happy thanksgiving.

.Ang. said...

haha I thought auntie Kay was being funny and said if you cover your eyes (as in Your OWN eyes) they look the same! hahaha

I guess that means i have your smile too dad!

Linz said...

thank you uncle doug! i needed this!