Just this week I was reminded of one of these occasions. I'm not big into Facebook - I don't really understand it. But because of my kids I have an account. Recently I received an invitation on Facebook to be a friend of one of these fellow Saints that we met about 4 years ago.
For Spring Break in 2004 we went to Disneyland. One day Judy and I and the 4 youngest were on the Mark Twain Riverboat. Being Japanese I wanted to take a picture of my family. Another Japanese looking young man beside us on the boat asked if he could take a picture for us.
Here's the picture he took (Its also the picture that motivated me to start running - another story for another day)
We started chatting with this young man. He asked me if I was Japanese. I told him I was from Canada. He was Japanese American.
His name was Tim and we had a nice visit. We had several things in common besides belonging to the same church - he was Japanese American - I'm Japanese Canadian (close enough). We both served missions. He was from Ohio and was a seminary teacher. At that time only Alana was in Seminary so he chatted with her about that for a while. He was there with his wife and 3 kids. We exchanged email addresses and went on our separate Disneyland adventures.
Since then, we have exchanged a couple emails. But when he invited me as a friend on facebook I found out that we have some other important (scary) things in common.
Having said that take a look at this recent picture of Tim.
Do you see what's on his head?
Compare that picture to this one of Alana, Jenelle and me at a recent Father and Kids Camp.
What do you see on our heads?
You will also notice that Tim is cooking with a dutch oven. I also love dutch oven cooking but I'm not nearly the expert my dad is.
Grandpa Takahashi and his pineapple upside down cake.
Thanks to all those people like Tim who live their lives in such away that you can tell they are different. Whether its because you wear a headlamp because you are a member of the Church of Jesus Christ is Latter-day Saints.



7 comments:
Funny you mention the spidy sense. Elder Richie in our ward was telling a story last week about how he likes to sit in airports and other public places and pick out memebers. When he told that story it reminded me of the story of when you were going through the airport security and that guy started talking to you...
Also i bet you didn't know that the mayor of Honolulu, which means the Mayor of Oahu pretty much, is a member. His nephew lives in our ward, and his brother is a Bishop for one of the other married wards on campus.
You'll have to keep us updated on the similarities of you and Tim, it's interesting. Who knew that you would still be in touch 4 years later.
by the way Jenelle, in the previous entry, the shirt looks good on you, I like it.
Darrell has a headlamp...does that make him mormon? Oh and he does dutch oven cooking...but he didn't go to Japan on his mission...he did go to Utah though where a high percentage of the Mormons live.
It is funny too, how you can walk into a home and have that spidy sense that the family is a member as well.
Thanks for sharing the story.
i remember Tim.. he was such a nice guy! that is cool that you guys have gotten re-acquainted. And all the similarities are a little crazy! but exciting!
i must be spiderman becaues i have that "spidey sense" all the time down here
Dad was convinced.He has a headlamp.
Great Blog Doug. Loved it, Mom
You guys were just destined to meet!!!
when i walk around Laie my spidy sense's go CRAZY!!!
There must be lots of mormons around.
You might want to go back a few generations and do some genealogical research - you may be 6th cousins - wouldn't that be grand. And...I'm so sad because I don't have a headlamp but my students say I have eyes like a hawk and radar like the military - does that count for anything????
Post a Comment